Nikon COOLPIX A300 Reference Manual
Caring for the Product
Notes About the Monitor
• Monitors (including electronic viewfinders) are constructed with extremely high precision;
at least 99.99% of pixels are effective, with no more than 0.01% being missing or defective.
Hence while these displays may contain pixels that are always lit (white, red, blue, or
green) or always off (black), this is not a malfunction and has no effect on images recorded
with the device.
• Images in the monitor may be difficult to see under bright lighting.
• Do not apply pressure to the monitor, as this could cause damage or malfunction. Should
the monitor break, care should be taken to avoid injury caused by broken glass and to
prevent the liquid crystal from the display touching the skin or entering the eyes or
Notes About Smear
White or colored streaks may be visible when bright subjects are framed in the monitor. This
phenomenon, known as “smear,” occurs when extremely bright light strikes the image
sensor; it is characteristic of image sensors and does not indicate a malfunction. Smear may
also take the form of partial discoloration in the monitor during shooting. It does not appear
in images saved with the camera except in the cases of movies. When recording movies, we
recommend that you avoid bright subjects such as the sun, reflected sunlight, and electric
Precautions for Use
• Note that the battery may become hot after use.
• Do not use the battery at ambient temperatures below 0°C (32°F) or above 40°C (104°F) as
this could cause damage or malfunction.
• If you notice any abnormalities such as excessive heat, smoke, or an unusual smell coming
from the battery, immediately discontinue use and consult your retailer or Nikon-
authorized service representative.
• After removing the battery from the camera or optional battery charger, put the battery in
a plastic bag, etc. in order to insulate it.
Charging the Battery
Check the battery level before using the camera and replace or charge the battery if
• Charge the battery indoors with an ambient temperature of 5°C to 35°C (41°F to 95°F)
• A high battery temperature may prevent the battery from charging properly or
completely, and may reduce battery performance. Note that the battery may become hot
after use; wait for the battery to cool before charging.
When charging the battery inserted into this camera using the Charging AC Adapter or a
computer, the battery is not charged at battery temperatures below 0°C (32°F) or above
• Do not continue charging once the battery is fully charged as this will result in reduced
• The battery temperature may increase during charging. However, this is not a