Congratulations on the purchase of your printer!
This chapter includes:
Finding more information
Your new printer is equipped with several special features that improve
the print quality. You can:
Print with excellent quality and high speed
• You can print up to 1200 x 1200 dpi effective
output. See the Software Section.
• Your printer prints A4-sized paper at up to 28 ppm
and letter-sized paper at up to 30 ppm.For duplex
printing, your printer prints A4-sized paper at up to
and letter-sized paper at up to 21 ipm.
a. pages per minute
b. images per minute
Handle paper flexibly
• The multi-purpose tray supports letterheads,
envelopes, labels, transparencies, custom-sized
materials, postcards, and heavy paper. The multi-
purpose tray holds up to 50 sheets of plain paper.
• The 250-sheet tray 1 and 250-sheet optional tray 2
support plain paper in various sizes.
• Two output tray; select either the output tray (face-
down) or the rear cover (face-up) for the most
• Straight-through paper path capability from the
multi-purpose tray to the rear cover.
Create professional documents
• Print Watermarks. You can customize your
documents with words, such as “Confidential.” See
the Software Section.
• Print Booklets. This feature enables you to easily
print a document to create a book. Once printed, all
you have to do is fold and staple the pages. See the
• Print Posters. The text and pictures of each page of
your document are magnified and printed across
the sheet of paper and can then be taped together
to form a poster. See the Software Section.
Save time and money
• This printer allows you to use toner save mode to
save toner. See page 2.7.
• You can print on both sides of the paper to save
paper (Double-sided printing).
• You can print multiple pages on a single sheet of
paper to save paper (2-Up printing). See the
• You can use preprinted forms and letterhead with
plain paper. See the Software Section.
• This printer automatically conserves electricity
by substantially reducing power consumption
when not in use.
Expand the printer capacity
• The Phaser 3428/D has 32 MB of memory which
can be expanded to 288 MB. The Phaser 3428/DN
has 64 MB of memory which can be expanded to
320 MB. See page 10.1.
• A Network interface enables network printing.
• You can add a 250-sheet optional tray 2 to your
printer. This tray lets you add paper to the printer
• A PostScript 3 Emulation* (PS) enables PS
printing (Phaser 3428/DN only).
* Zoran IPS Emulation compatible with PostScript 3
• © Copyright 1995-2005, Zoran Corporation.
All rights reserved. Zoran, the Zoran logo,
IPS/PS3 and OneImage are trademarks of
* 136 PS3 fonts
• Contains UFST and MicroType from
Monotype Imaging Inc.
Print in various environments
• You can print in Windows 95/98/Me/NT 4.0/2000/XP/2003.
• Your printer is compatible with Macintosh (Phaser 3428/DN only).
• Your printer comes with both Parallel and USB interfaces.
• You can also use a network interface. The Phaser 3428/DN come
with a built-in network interface, 10/100 Base TX.