• Before moving the shift lever out of PARK, you
must turn the ignition switch from the LOCK/OFF
position to the ON/RUN position, and also press
the brake pedal. Otherwise, damage to the shift
lever could result.
• DO NOT race the engine when shifting from
PARK or NEUTRAL into another gear range, as this
can damage the drivetrain.
The following indicators should be used to ensure that
you have engaged the transmission into the PARK posi-
• When shifting into PARK, firmly move the shift lever
all the way forward and to the left until it stops and is
• Look at the transmission gear position display and
verify that it indicates the PARK position (P).
• With brake pedal released, verify that the shift lever
will not move out of PARK.
This range is for moving the vehicle backward. Shift into
REVERSE only after the vehicle has come to a complete
Use this range when the vehicle is standing for prolonged
periods with the engine running. The engine may be
started in this range. Apply the parking brake and shift
the transmission into PARK if you must leave the vehicle.
STARTING AND OPERATING