When the Fuel Economy (ECON) Mode is engaged, the
vehicle control systems will change the following:
• The transmission will upshift sooner and downshift
• The transmission will skip select gears during shifts to
allow the engine to operate at lower speeds.
• The torque converter clutch may engage at lower
engine speeds and remain on longer.
• The engine idle speed will be lower.
• The overall driving performance will be more conser-
• Some ECON mode functions may be temporarily
inhibited based on temperature and other factors.
Six-Speed Automatic Transmission
The transmission gear position display (located in the
instrument cluster) indicates the transmission gear range.
You must press the brake pedal to move the shift lever
out of PARK (Refer to “Brake/Transmission Shift Inter-
lock System” in this section). To drive, move the shift
lever from PARK or NEUTRAL to the DRIVE position.
Fuel Economy Mode Switch
STARTING AND OPERATING